Saturday, November 01, 2008

Wrong TIN Inquiry from BIR

What would you do if you discovered one day that you're paying your taxes and yet the TIN (tax identification number) you're using is incorrect? Past income tax forms 1902, 1905 and 2316 were already lost.

A friend of mine found this out the hard way. His company has been remitting income tax returns for years and when he got married, he needed to update his TIN from single to married in order to avail of the increase in personal exemptions and thus lower taxes. Problem is that the online TIN inquiry of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) is not working and calling individual BIR offices, called RDO, is a pain in the ass when most government employees are a pain in the ass to talk to when it comes to inquiries from "lowly" citizens of the Philippines that they're supposed to serve.

It's a good thing that an officemate of mine had a good day and called one of the four RDOs in Makati by giving the invalid TIN and the full name of my officemate and chanced upon a rare good mood of the BIR employee. It's great the RDO she called up was the one where my officemate registered more than ten years ago...

Case solved!

to BIR: why on earth can't you detect income tax returns with invalid TIN? SSS can detect remitances with SSS number and name mismatch. No wonder you can't run after tax cheats. Your former commissioner also had that stupid and backward policy of shifting back BIR corporate payments from online to over the counter, undoing the hard work of Parayno. Think twice!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have the same problem. I just found out that I'm using wrong TIN number. Do you know ano ginawa ng officemate mo to correct it? I called BIR Call Support kasi and was advised to simply write the correct TIN number on my Form 1905 (I am changing my RDO bec. I moved to another company), wala daw maging problem un. Medyo duda kse ako. Thanks.